Senior Graphic Designer / Videographer / Animator
Selection process number: 2018-RSN-EA-INV-CPS-187403
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Applications received by 8:00 AM PST on November 13, 2018 will be assessed for immediate staffing needs. Applications received after that date will be assessed as needs arise. A top-down selection may be used at certain stages of the assessment or when selecting the right fit.
NOTE: APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE A LINK TO YOUR DIGITAL PORTFOLIO AND TWO PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFY YOU.
Successful candidates who have applied by 8:00 AM PST on November 13, 2018 must be available for a take-home exam between November 29 and December 2, 2018 and interviews between December 10 and December 14, 2018 to be considered for current needs. No rescheduling will be permitted.
We will accept online applications only.
Get creative with NRCan! Natural Resources Canada creative services department is looking for creative brains to join our multimedia, video and design team at various levels of experience to create impactful visual stories to share with Canadians.
Can you transform an idea into a visual story?
Do you have mad skills in motion graphics and/or graphic design?
Do you love to play in After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, InDesign and/or Illustrator?
Love collaborating and storyboarding?
Come join our dynamic and hard-working organization to do things like:
• Delivering design concepts and creatives for infographics, videos, motion graphics, multi-media presentations, and/or web.
• Using Adobe Creative Cloud to create your design products (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Premiere, After Effects)
• Developing and delivering design concepts and creatives for digital publications, infographics, videos, motion graphics, multimedia presentations or the Web
• Developing storylines and storyboards for video and/or animation products
• Constantly learn and share your knowledge with colleagues
Some extras you’ll get:
• Work in a department that values data and science to support decision-making
• Be part of a team that values creativity, innovation and work-life balance
• A competitive salary and progressive range of benefits
• A work location in Ottawa, Ontario steps from the restaurants on Preston St and green space at Dow’s Lake
• Onsite daycare (pending availability)
Intent of the process
A pool of (fully or partially) qualified candidates may be established through this process to staff identical or similar positions at Natural Resources Canada with various tenures (determinate period or indeterminate), various language requirements and profile(s) (English essential, BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC, CCC/CCC, etc.), and various security requirements (reliability and secret).
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
A covering letter in 2,000 words (maximum) “Please provide a cover letter including a link to your digital portfolio and contact information for two references. Should you move to the interview stage, we will contact the references.”
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
A degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
NOTES: • Based on their education, training and/or experience, indeterminate incumbents of positions in the IS classification are deemed to meet the minimum education standard whenever a bachelor’s degree without specialization is called for in a position classified as IS.
• An acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum education standard.
• Recent* and extensive** experience in operating Apple & PC computers using Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, Premiere, AfterEffects) and the Microsoft Office suite of products
• Extensive** experience in developing and delivering visual design concepts and creatives for at least 3 of the following: digital publications, infographics, videos, motion graphics, multimedia presentations and/or web sites
• Experience consulting with clients and stakeholders on the development of motion graphic design products or videos
• Experience developing scripts, storylines and storyboards for video and/or animation products and/or developing infographics from various sources of content
• Experience providing quality control services for the production of visual communications products
*Recent experience means in the last two (2) years.
**Extensive experience is understood to mean the depth and breadth of experience normally associated with having performed a broad range of complex activities related to this task, which are normally acquired over a period of five
• Knowledge of design and/or animation techniques for visual storytelling
• Knowledge of Government of Canada policies, guidelines, and standards related to design and communications including the Federal Identity Program (FIP), Official Languages and the Government of Canada Copyright.
• Ability to create motion graphics and/or video products
• Ability to work convert technical and complex information into simple plain language infographic
• Ability to prepare interactive multimedia presentations
• Ability to work independently or as a member of a project team
• Ability to provide advice to senior management.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing
• Effective interpersonal relationships
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
• Experience in web site development, social media and/or digital publishing
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
• Ability to prepare printing specifications for tender
• Ability to prepare video or motion graphics specifications for tender
• Ability to plan and supervise the work of junior designers
Conditions of employment
Ability and willingness to work overtime
Security: various (Reliability/Secret)
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
This organizational need may be identified as part of the appointment decision. In such cases, qualified candidates who self-declare as members of a visible minority group, Aboriginal peoples or persons with disabilities could be considered in priority.
The breadth and depth of experience may/will be considered when making selections from the qualified pool and in determining the “best fit” for the organization.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring proof of their education credentials, in the form of a diploma or official transcript (original documents only).
Candidates will be required to pay for travel costs associated with this selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our position(s). For the purpose of this staffing process, only candidates selected for further assessment will be contacted.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Christopher Haines – Human Resources Advisor|